Scholarships offered to assist Student Members to attend the AAFCS 107th Annual Conference in Bellevue.
WAFCS Student Member Scholarship
Purpose:Registration assistance to Washington AAFCS student members to attend the AAFCS 107th Conference and Expo in Bellevue, Washington, from June 22-25, 2016
It has been nearly 20 years since the AAFCS Annual Conference and Expo has been held in the Pacific Northwest. The annual conference and expo offers pre-professionals important opportunities for networking, attending content sessions, and participating in activities. WAFCS recognizes financial constraints may prevent undergraduate student members from attending the AAFCS Annual Conference and Expo. For that reason, WAFCS is prepared to offer scholarships to assist students with their registration fees. The deadline to apply is March 7th. Awards will be made based on the number of accepted applications. Register by April 15 to receive the Early Bird registration rate of $209. After that date, registration will increase to $269. Click on the link above for the application form.
The Betsey Norum Student Subsidy
Awarded by Partners in Home and Community of the
American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
Purpose: A $500 subsidy is awarded to an AAFCS student member to attend the AAFCS 107th Conference and Expo in Bellevue, Washington, from June 22-25, 2016
Members of the AAFCS Partners in Home and Community realize that undergraduate student members of AAFCS may have financial constraints that prevent them from attending the AAFCS Annual Conference and Expo. The contacts, content, and stimulation derived from the wide variety of programs and activities offered provide important experiences for the pre-professional majoring in one of the varied areas encompassed by Family and Consumer Sciences. This subsidy is offered to give a financial boost to such a student. This subsidy has been given annually since 1995 in memory of Betsy Norum, Minnesota, National Home and Community Chair, 1968-70.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE AWARD, YOU MUST BE:
1) a student member of AAFCS
2) a current college junior
3) a first time attendee at the AAFCS Annual Conference and Expo
2016 Betsy Norum Student Subsidy Application
Washington Affiliate Student Unit Association
The AAFCS Student Unit Association promotes the professional development of members who are students of family and consumer sciences or related fields through regular communications on association programs geared to students.
The WAFCS Student Unit Association is comprised of students from universities and colleges in Washington State. Currently Central Washington University and Washington State University have student unit chapters. Each chapter meets periodically on their respective campuses. They hold a joint meeting at the Annual Fall Conference and in the Spring, rotating the location of the meeting to each campus.
The Objectives of the Student Unit
- Promote the AAFCS program of work and the unit’s plan-of-action.
- Provide the opportunity for developing family and consumer sciences leadership among student members.
- Provide experience to increase mutual understanding among people of all cultures.
- Become familiar with the history and explore the future of family and consumer sciences and AAFCS.
- Provide the opportunity to meet and know people who have attained recognition in the family and consumer sciences profession.
- Explore career opportunities and promote knowledge of the capabilities of family and consumer sciences professionals.
- Develop professional interests, which lead to active membership in the affiliate and national association.