Euthenics is a nonprofit organization of home economists dedicated to the profession of Family and Consumer Sciences. As an IRS 501(c)(3) organization, they promote FCS, provide annual scholarships, and update members’ professional knowledge. Each meeting has two speakers and lots of networking.
The organization holds four meetings a year at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 1415 20th Ave. S.E. Shoreline WA. The meetings begin at 9:30 a.m. with conversation, member sharing and a catered lunch ($16). Please call Susan McDaniel for reservations at 425-793-3556.
Tuesday September 25, 2018
- Declutter, downsize or relocate with Katie Munoz, founder and President of Moving Forward, Inc.
- John Shaffer, retired pastor, and volunteer with Mobility World Wide will discuss helping people unable to walk operate hand cranked wheelchair devices.
Thursday October 25, 2018
- Jennifer Strickland will explain Genetic Genealogy and how the technology is changing the world.
- Beth Hartell, M.S., founder of Pear Tree Nutrition will discuss emerging and relevant trends in nutrition and the services Pear Tree provides.
Tuesday March 26, 2019
- Arlene Harrison will share information on the Clothing and Textile Advisors of Snohomish County. You can bring and donate some of your excess stash of fabric and sewing essentials for their annual fabric sale in June.
- Susan Grant, Pathway Specialist, will update us on Career and Technical Education in Seattle Schools.
Thursday April 25, 2019
- Sandra Hartje, Ph.D., will give an update on programs and course offerings at Seattle Pacific University. Sandra is a Professor of Interior Design and Housing
- Carol Jacques, Euthenics member, will share her knowledge and slides about butterflies and other pollinators. She is on the state speakers list.
Also on the slate for the spring meetings is donations to Mary’s Place, who serves homeless women and children. We also have a treasure sale in the spring to benefit our scholarship fund.
Wednesday October 3, 2018: The historic Smith Tower
Sunday November 18, 2018: Craft festival at the Prince of Peace Church
March 2019, date to be decided: University of Washington Hospital NICU unit
Wednesday April 27, 2019: The Sno Isle Tech Center, lunch and tour catered by Students enrolled in the Restaurant/Hospitality Career Development Program.
Hurricanes IRMA and MARIE in September 2017 devastated many parts of the Caribbean and much of Puerto Rico where there are few resources to devote to recovery of home economics programs. DAP has already helped several islands in the Caribbean in cooperation with CAHE, where colleagues and FCS/home economics programs on affected islands received assistance from DAP. It is clear that our continued efforts will benefit our colleagues in Puerto Rico where the suffering from the hurricane’s destruction continues to be dire and profound!
The AAFCS Global Perspectives Community presented at the Annual Conference in Atlanta this past June to explain the Disaster Assistance Program. Attached is the summation of their presentation.
The WA FCS Annual Conference early bird registration deadline is October 1, 2018. After that date, $50 will be added to the registration fee. To register, go to https://wafacse.org/2018-annual-conference-gwl/
Certified in Family & Consumer Sciences (CFCS) exams are being offered on Sunday, October 21, at the WA FCS Annual Conference at Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound (Centralia). If you have questions about FCS certification and the exams contact Dr. Debbie Handy at email@example.com.
WAFCS is seeking donations to their scholarship fundraiser at the WA FCS Annual Conference on October 22, at Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound (Centralia). Check out the details:
The 2018 Fall/Winter WAFCS Connections Newsletter is so big we’ve had to split it into two sections!
Pages 1-7 contain:
Page 1 Resolution Adopted by AAFCS / Advocating for all families: The spark that
initiated the 2018 AAFCS Resolution
Page 2 From the President’s Desk
Page 3 WAFCS Members Recognized / A Walk Down Memory Lane
Page 4 WAFCS Annual Awards / Candidate Search / Dr. Jan Bowers / WAFCS
Page 5 Discovering the CDC
Page 6 Say Yes to FCS Recruitment Campaign
Page 7 Say Yes to FCS: Taking Action / Euthenics
Pages 8-16 Contain:
Page 8 2019 Affiliate Action Plan
Page 9 2019 Affiliate Action Plan
Page 10 International Quilt Market
Page 11 International Quilt Market, cont’d / Student Unit
Page 12 WA FCS Annual Conference Registration Information
Page 13 WA FCS Annual Conference Pre-Conference Workshops / Keynote Speaker
Page 14 Annual Scholarship Fundraiser / CFCS Certification Exams to be
offered at the Annual Conference
Page 15 The Editor’s Final Note
Page 16 Mark Your Calendars